Tičar's mountain lodge on Vršič
The lodge is located on the Trenta side of Vršič Peak, just above the Vršič Pass, which is crossed by the Kranjska Gora-Trenta-Bovec road. The first hut on this site was built by the SPD on the initiative and with the help of Dr. Josip Tičar, the president of the Kranjska Gora branch of the SPD, as a counterbalance to the German-Austrian Voss hut (now Erjavec's hut); it was opened on 4 August 1912 under the name "Slovenska koča" (Slovenian hut). It was occupied by Austrian soldiers during the First World War and by Italian financiers during the Second World War. After the liberation, the hut was taken over by the Jeseník mountaineers, who repaired and equipped it and opened it on 15 September 1946. After the death of Dr Josip Tičar (1875-1946), it was renamed Tičar's Mountain Lodge, a tribute to the father of Slovenian mountaineering in the Upper Sava Valley and co-founder of the GRS. In 1964-1966, a new, large and modern home was built next to the old, dilapidated home, which was inaugurated on 31 July 1966. The old home was demolished. At the beginning of April 1975, a huge avalanche from Mojstrovka destroyed the facade of the house, which was immediately rebuilt. A kiosk for the sale of postcards and souvenirs was set up on the roadside, and the home has undergone many improvements and modernisations in recent years. In 1992, the electrical and plumbing systems were renewed and the kitchen was modernised. / There are 60 seats in the two catering rooms, a counter; a souvenir and postcard shop; 36 beds in the 9 rooms and 55 beds in the 4 dormitories; WC, washbasin and shower with hot and cold water in the basement and upstairs; the catering rooms are heated by a rustic stove; running water, electricity, telephone. / Source: www.en.pzs.si